1. King Jesus hath a garden, full of divers flowers,
Where I go culling posies gay, all times and hours.
There naught is heard but Paradise bird,2. The Lily, white in blossom there, is Chastity:
Harp, dulcimer, lute,
With cymbal, trump and tymbal,
And the tender, soothing flute.
The Violet, with sweet perfume, Humanity. (Refrain)
3. The bonny Damask-rose is known as Patience:
The blithe and thrifty Marygold, Obedience. (Refrain)
4. The Crown Imperial bloometh too in yonder place,
'Tis Charity, of stock divine, the flower of grace. (Refrain)
5. Yet, 'mid the brave, the bravest prize of all may claim
The Star of Bethlem-Jesus-bless'd be his Name! (Refrain)
6. Ah! Jesu Lord, my heal and weal, my bliss complete,
Make thou my heart thy garden-plot, fair, trim and neat. (Refrain)
Text: Heer Jesus heeft een hofken. Traditional Dutch from Geestlijcke Harmonie, Emmerich, 1633, Eng trans. by George R. Woodward (1848-1934).