1. Children of the heavenly Father
Safely in His bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in Heaven
Such a refuge e’er was given.
2. God His own doth tend and nourish;
In His holy courts they flourish;
From all evil things He spares them;
In His mighty arms He bears them.
3. Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord His children sever;
Unto them His grace He showeth,
And their sorrows all He knoweth.
4. Though He giveth or He taketh,
God His children ne’er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy.
5. Lo, their very hairs He numbers,
And no daily care encumbers
Them that share His ev’ry blessing
And His help in woes distressing.
6. Praise the Lord in joyful numbers:
Your Protector never slumbers.
At the will of your Defender
Ev’ry foeman must surrender.
Text: Caroline V. Sandell-Berg (1832-1903), tr. Ernst W. Olson (1870-1958)
Tune: TRYGGARE KAN INGEN VARA, LM (Swedish melody)