SEARCH THIS BLOG

Looking for a particular song? Search this blog here:

17 January 2014

I am risen and behold (Michael Barger)


Antiphon:
I am risen and behold and am with you, Alleluia!
You have placed you hand on me, Alleluia!
O God, how wonderf'lly you know me, Alleluia!
1. O Lord, you search me and you know me.
You know when I sit down and rise up again, Alleluia! (Antiphon)

2. Behold, Lord, you know all things both ancient and new.
You have conceived me, and laid your hand upon me, Alleluia! (Antiphon)

3. Glory be to the Father of Love,
And to the Son, who is risen from the dead,
And to the Spirit giving us new life,
As it was in the beginning, is now, and every shall be, Alleluia! (Antiphon)

Composer: Michael Barger 
Michael Barger grew up in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. His work is highly influenced by Islamic and Byzantine Arabic chant and especially by the Lebanese Byzantine chanter, Sister Marie Keyrouz

Composer's Notes:
The text of I Am Risen is that of the Introit (Entrance chant) of the Roman rite celebration of the Eucharist on Easter day, Resurrexi et adhuc tecum sum, which serves as the antiphon for the chanting of Psalm 139. The composition was inspired by the recording of Resurrexi et adhuc tecum sum on Ensemble Organum's recording,  Chants of the Church of Roman - Byzantine Period. It is devoted to chants of the Church of Rome when most of the popes came from the churches of the Byzantine Empire ( 590-752), coinciding with the rise of the Prophet Muhammad (550-632) and the Umayyad Caliphate (660-750). Liturgies were celebrated with chants in both Greek and Latin. Musically the hymn is in the Mixolydian mode and marked by chords of the ninth.

No comments:

Post a Comment