SEARCH THIS BLOG

Looking for a particular song? Search this blog here:

16 February 2010

How Can I Keep From Singing (Robert Lowry)





How Can I Keep From Singing

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentation.
I hear the real, thought far off hymn
That hails the new creation

Refrain

No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of Heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?
Above the tumult and the strife,
I hear the music ringing;
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing? (Refrain)

What through the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
What through the darkness round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth. (Refrain)

When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death-knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near,
How can I keep from singing? (Refrain)

In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them are winging.
When friends by shame are undefiled,
How can I keep from singing? (Refrain)

Background historical information (Wikipedia)

Words & Music: Robert Wadsworth Lowry (1869)
Verses 4 and 5 by Doris Plenn (1950)

No comments:

Post a Comment